1. Sally Sprague
    Sally Sprague January 15, 2020 at 5:20 pm | | Reply

That was beautiful and a real eye opener great job many thanks for that cast and many thanks to Arlene and becky and all staff and residents .Brought tears to my eyes

2. Rachel
    Rachel January 15, 2020 at 7:11 pm | | Reply

Erica, you truly captured the essence of the place and the spirit of the wonderful people there. They do an amazing job of caring for each other. Love is evident indeed. Great job!

3. Sydney McDowell
    Sydney McDowell January 16, 2020 at 5:40 pm | | Reply

Beautiful story ~ anyone near Portland Maine ~ ?

4. Alan
    Alan January 16, 2020 at 5:56 pm | | Reply

Absolutely beautiful episode, Erica. Thanks for being such a good listener (and empathetic producer).

5. Lindy Sayward
    Lindy Sayward January 17, 2020 at 8:49 pm | | Reply

Well done. Captured the essence of the house, but also the importance of building community based on caring and love and just holding the space to “be”. Important to get this model of community living out there. Thanks.

6. Michel from Switzerland
    Michel from Switzerland January 18, 2020 at 12:33 pm | | Reply

A very moving and touching episode. Perfectly done!

7. Kirsten
    Kirsten January 19, 2020 at 10:53 am | | Reply

Really lovely. I live in a *tiny* town in Maine and can’t help but believe a place like this would be a blessing to us here.

8. Bob Metz
    Bob Metz January 19, 2020 at 4:13 pm | | Reply

Thank you Arlene for all that you did for David and for all that the community he lived in at Joslyn House meant to him . You are a remarkable person who brings so much to so many.

Bob
    One of his friends

1. Kelly Green
      Kelly Green January 20, 2020 at 10:02 am | | Reply

Thank you for posting, Bob!

9. Thomas
    Thomas January 19, 2020 at 5:58 pm | | Reply

What a poignant piece is “Joslyn House”—on a subject that haunts so many minds (like mine): how will we live when we’re old?

Your story feels to me like a sober soulful celebration of an oasis for our elders at the ends of their roads. I love the way the show starts: with the dreamy voice of a brightminded lady asking about the making of the show that she herself is part of. (I like her later jag too, speaking about the news in the newspapers rustling in the hands of her housemates…)

The piece reveals itself patiently, and conjures awakening through remembering—listening, I felt as if a dream I’ve always been living was being revealed me; I was seeing it while I was hearing it…

Such memorable moments along the way…a man tickled to chuckles by the memory of his having to share a bathroom for the first time in his life—at the end of his life…his later description of life as a mountain climb…a woman’s gentle rhapsody on how she fell in love with coffee…another woman’s singing of “Yes We Have No Bananas” while a rock band wails that love is a wave in the air…