1. Jessica Dils
    Jessica Dils August 23, 2018 at 2:52 pm | | Reply

My good friend, VCFA classmate, and children’s author, Daphne Kalmar, shows her full and beautiful humanity and her gift for storytelling and teaching–not only on the page but here in this stunning podcast recording. Listen, share, read, repeat… and get ready for a true gift. Thank you, Erica, for capturing her so perfectly. If only the world could live by Daphne’s one and only classroom rule… Bravo!

2. Helen D Willey
    Helen D Willey August 23, 2018 at 6:13 pm | | Reply

Very enjoyable interview. Proud to say I was a teaching colleague of Daphne’s in one of the Vermont schools. Loved her book, A Stitch in Time. She so captured the essence of the small town and her references to local places, people and things. The local color made it a very endearing read for me. Looking forward to her next book.

3. Toshen
    Toshen August 24, 2018 at 6:21 pm | | Reply

Beautiful! This episode of Rumble Strip highlights what are, in my opinion, Erica’s greatest gifts: she understands that her neighbors have wonderful tales to tell, knows how to seed a conversation with just the right questions, is wise enough to sit back like a good neighbor listening to the answers, and then, as the people she’s sitting with get immersed in the stories they’re weaving, is generous enough to quietly wave the rest of into the kitchen or onto the porch so that we, too, can enjoy the vivid stories that are emerging. Thank you, Erica!

4. John Howland
    John Howland August 24, 2018 at 9:55 pm | | Reply

What a thought provoking interview! Having read “A Stitch in Time” I can really see how the author’s work as a teacher and her deep understanding of children infused her writing. Both the interview and the book have such an authentic voice–no pretense, plenty of humor, and lots of real life wisdom. I loved–and couldn’t help smiling with the way you started off: “There are parts of teaching that are excruciatingly boring…” Thanks!

5. Annie
    Annie August 24, 2018 at 10:06 pm | | Reply

Daphne is just fabulous! Every teacher should listen to this remarkable interview. I wish all who teach kids could have her insight and attention..the world would be a happier,more well adjusted place. Thank you for doing this interview!

6. Declan
    Declan August 25, 2018 at 11:00 pm | | Reply

I really enjoyed this episode. Daphne’s tactful accommodation of a little boy’s need to chase lizards is the perfect example of the flexibility and wisdom of a great teacher. I shared it on FB with my many teacher friends.

7. Jon Bale
    Jon Bale August 29, 2018 at 3:35 am | | Reply

A wonderful podcast, and Daphne is clearly a teacher after my own heart, Having taught Primary children for twenty three years in England, Hong Kong and Shanghai I can relate to so many things that she says. Now retired in France I still have to look out of my window whenever I hear the chattering of the children as a class goes by on the way to their weekly library visit. I really miss being in the classroom experiencing all that Daphne talks about. Thank you so much for the memories.

8. F Paul Falcone
    F Paul Falcone August 30, 2018 at 7:10 pm | | Reply

Beyond good. This was the teacher I never had or might have liked school and done better. We are born with the mystery and magic of the universe and then find out teachers and parents just want you to behave and be like all the others…

9. leah jones
    leah jones September 13, 2018 at 1:53 pm | | Reply

VCFA’s Writing for Children and Young Adults program is so proud to have had Daphne in our program. Beautiful, interview, Daphne!

10. Maria Carcache
    Maria Carcache September 19, 2018 at 2:17 am | | Reply

Excelente book. Super proud of Daphne. Kids take the book to school or everywhere they go, so they can show it to other and say, look my grandma made this book. Love it.