1. Sage
    Sage July 2, 2016 at 12:31 pm | | Reply

The whispering part about the great hiding spot. The friendships part… two days on, two days off. The Zombie and antidote. Yeah, that and everything else. You were meant to interview all, but your connection with kids is fanfreakintastic.

2. Christopher Leonard
    Christopher Leonard July 3, 2016 at 4:26 am | | Reply

Thank you again Erica. Thanks for the memories.

3. Alicia Kroll
    Alicia Kroll July 3, 2016 at 11:46 am | | Reply

Loved the post card from childhood. makes me want to hear one about girl power. Remember the feeling of an 8-20 year old body and all it could do and how you didn’t care about boys yet?

4. Rachel
    Rachel July 4, 2016 at 7:47 am | | Reply

Erica- I think you really nailed it with this one. You have captured the timelessness of this spot, which is one of the things that drew me back as an adult. The games are slightly different and the neighbors and kids have changed but the geography remains and the story goes on.

5. Larry Satcowitz
    Larry Satcowitz July 7, 2016 at 1:21 pm | | Reply

The one part of the piece that stood out for me were the comments about a particular person. I dearly hope the person referenced will never hear this. How hurtful. I also hope that the children who made the comments don’t hear this, as these sensitive kids, who I am closely connected to, would be horrified to know that this person might someday listen to their words. Broadcasting those thoughts was a thoughtless and pointless betrayal of their trust. Surely, out of the several hours of audio recorded that day, you could have found another bit that would have been more appropriate to fill out a ten minute piece. Listening to this made me feel sick.

6. PF
    PF July 7, 2016 at 6:10 pm | | Reply

I liked the Neighborhood, having lived in Randolph and being borne at Gifted. The earnestness of children is magical, as we seem to lose it later on, when everything is illusive and changeable. I wish there was a way to show what its like in nursing homes especially the low rent ones of Medicare like my mother is in. It seems to me this issue is one we are all heading towards and yet ignore. It is both political and economic and for those on the bottom, if they have any awareness left at all, it’s a nightmare of poor care, bad food and changing faces that are always telling you everything is alright when you know it isn’t, with no way out.Thanks, PF

7. Melissa Burroughs
    Melissa Burroughs September 17, 2016 at 12:09 pm | | Reply

I listened to this piece again as summer is coming to a close and kids are disappearing from the neighborhood, back to their scheduled after school activities. There is nothing like listening to free play and boundless adventure. Thanks Erica!

8. Lani
    Lani October 13, 2016 at 8:07 am | | Reply

Made me laugh and cry, both. I don’t want to grow up!

9. Ellen Fisher
    Ellen Fisher October 15, 2016 at 1:44 pm | | Reply

Erica,
    I’m a pre-school teacher so I’m always interested in play. Your episode about the Randolph kids was lovely, with one giant exception: confidentiality. Why was it necessary to include children’s names? Or the name of the town? Or exactly where the shortcut through the woods is?
    You had me shouting”TMI! TMI!” at my radio. A few hours later, a coworker asked if I’d heard the radio story “that was a pedophile’s dream”. We can’t be the only listeners with this reaction.
    I’m sure that a little bit of creativity could have produced an equally charming episode without putting children at risk.
    Please think about this.