1. Stephen Kroll
    Stephen Kroll June 7, 2013 at 8:18 pm | | Reply

Why did they repave the Center Road and not the County Road in East Montpelier? The Center Road gets about 1/1000th of the traffic that the county road gets.

S. Kroll an East Montpelier Resident/Tax Payer.

2. Lizzy Mandell
    Lizzy Mandell June 8, 2013 at 8:29 pm | | Reply

So many miles of roads here in Calais and East Montpelier. – I think about these roads every day driving to and from work. I am very thankful for the hard work that goes into maintaining them. More often than not I’m really impressed and grateful. -Especially after a big storm – I’m just so relieved to be able to get through. – So thanks to all you road scholars out there!
    I enjoyed the interviews. Ray Burke reminds me so much of my neighbor growing up. – Steadfast and a good man. So sorry for his loss.

3. Allan Mackey
    Allan Mackey June 9, 2013 at 5:32 pm | | Reply

The reference made by Mr. Garand to Roy Bowles reminds me of the battles we had to keep our lawn reasonably healthy on the side of our village house in E. Calais that faced the general store back in the 70’s. We put logs up to help guide the plow around the grass but they were cast aside by the snowplow like matchsticks. When we complained we were told that our land ended at the dripline of our roof. We then were rewarded with a huge mountain of snow on our lawn that remained until May.
    On the other hand. I miss those simpler times when that was all we had to worry about.When we finally sold the house we realized we had no key to give to the new owner because we never locked the door.
    And a final shout out to Roy whose passion for keeping the roads clear was above and beyond the call of duty

4. Bud Kassel
    Bud Kassel June 20, 2013 at 10:13 pm | | Reply

Once I discovered Ray Burke I wondered how I could ever have started off in the morning without him. His voice put you at ease to face the day whatever the weather.

5. peter
    peter June 27, 2013 at 10:02 am | | Reply

I remember listening to Ray Burke on WDEV for years (beginning in the 1970’s ?). Everyone listened to him. It was great to hear your interview with him.

Scott Bassage brought your blog site to the 1st Calais Roads Advisory Committee meeting two weeks ago and recommended that we each listen to your interview with Mike. I didn’t get to it until 6 am today. After listening to it, I emailed all the the Roads Committee members:
    WOW! It is well worth listening to.

I encourage everyone to listen to it before this evenings meeting. It actually begins with Doug Lilley. Scott supplied the audio recordings from Town Meeting 2 years ago.

It is very professionally done, not like my recordings, and very easy to access.

Then I replayed it at breakfast with my wife and sister. I am sending it to our son who is in gradate studies in transportation at the UVM Rubenstein School.

Thank you so much.

6. Greg Swain
    Greg Swain December 19, 2013 at 9:23 pm | | Reply

I spent many delightful nights listening to Ray on the scanner and marveling at his skills and how he cared for each of his “guys” out on the road in the worst possible conditions. He always knew where they were and just the right thing to say to poke fun at them or give them a boost of confidence.
    Thanks Ray! Doubt there will ever be another like you and it was an honor to listen in during those stormy nights.