1. Eugene A
    Eugene A March 25, 2016 at 11:14 pm | | Reply

Thank goodness that there are still folks like Barry Forbes in Vermont. What a great notion that some people are born to work with their hands and that they add real value to to the universe !
    When I came to Vermont in the late ’50’s he would have been “Standard Issue” which I suppose is why America called Vermont “The Last Stronghold of the Yankees”.
    I don’t remember any folks then who thought that money was a measure of a person’s value; Vermonters, rural or in Burlington seemed independent, self reliant, plain spoken and as nearly free of guile as any group I had previously dealt with.
    1959 is a long time ago and I am older. Perhaps I remember inperfectly or am using too small, a long ago sample size to justify being so nostalgic and wistful about the Vermont Mr. Forbes summons to mind.
    In any event, thanks to Erica for giving us a peek of a Vermont and a rugged Vermonter that is rapidly disappearing.

2. Jerome
    Jerome March 27, 2016 at 1:28 am | | Reply

The podcast helps me to understand Bernie Sanders’ position on gun rights.

3. clare
    clare March 27, 2016 at 9:30 am | | Reply

Another great great show. You so smartly encourage him to wax eloquent in such a profound, genius way. excellent excellent show.

4. Tim
    Tim March 28, 2016 at 1:28 pm | | Reply

Erica, Great piece. A wonderful slice of life in Vermont. I always look forward to listening when the email pops up announcing a new episode. Keep up the wonderful work.

5. Paul Falcone
    Paul Falcone March 29, 2016 at 6:35 pm | | Reply

OK, I have to say it: you should have played Muskrat Love! I was borne and spent many years in the old Vermont and have watched it become homogenized into an everywhere place, lawn service, tree surgeons and other kids came along and won our school pries, built condos on the back forty and can’t drive in the snow. Back then if you saw cows on the road you stopped, rounded them up and got them back in their pasture and fixed the fence and let the farmer know. It was and still is true that almost anywhere else you can make more money, which I’ve tried, but kept coming back. I feel like a fish out of water the farther I get from esp. central Vermont.

6. Minor Heretic
    Minor Heretic April 12, 2016 at 7:13 pm | | Reply

I like what he says about money, hand labor, and honest dirt. He’s totally comfortable with who he is and what he does. That’s rare enough these days.

Having grown up not far from where he lives I’ve known a number of people like him. Not necessarily hunters, but people who did what they did because they wanted to and not because somebody else decided that it was important or prestigious.

Great interview, Erica.

7. Linda Darrow
    Linda Darrow July 15, 2016 at 8:10 am | | Reply

I know Barry. He shot a porcupine that was chewing up my garage in Middlebury. He had to come over several times (in the middle of the night) before he got it, but he did. Great man!

8. Anna Rose Benson
    Anna Rose Benson August 18, 2016 at 1:10 pm | | Reply

I would have liked to hear Barry Forbes talk about how trapping has changed over time. There’s less wild land, the numbers of bobcats, foxes and otter are decreasing, as has the demand and price paid for their fur. (How much does he get for a muskrat fur? I wish you had asked.)

About 10-15 years ago, Mr. Forbes trapped out the thriving red fox family from the pasture back of our house and we haven’t seen a fox in this small valley since. There were foxes, red or grey, or coyotes denning there for as long as I can remember before that.

I know that’s just one thing and doesn’t prove anything, but it makes me wonder about the whole deal. Animals are up against a lot already and more all the time – cars, habitat loss and degradation, cutting up travel corridors, meadows made into lawns…Do trappers take all this change into account?
    Probably they could teach us a whole lot about it, but I worry about the animals anyway.
    Thanks.

9. corey hendrickson
    corey hendrickson September 2, 2016 at 3:27 pm | | Reply

Barry is amazing. He graciously helped us out of a jam a few years back. I enjoyed hearing his story, well done.