1. marianne ross
    marianne ross October 29, 2015 at 9:54 pm | | Reply

i’ve met mark, and seen his movie – an extraordinary human being, as is emily (a friend from bread and puppet theater) who resonates with mark with infinite patience and empathy.
    i sense your struggle to communicate with him in spoken language, while he is so direct and poetic in expressing himself on the keyboard. granted it’s slow, but profound, and worth waiting for.

2. D
    D October 30, 2015 at 12:40 am | | Reply

What an extraordinary few minutes you and Mark and Emily have brought us. Honestly, I can recall nothing quite like it.
    Thoughtful, lovingly constructed questions, asked in a thoughtful, lovingly modulated way which elicit spare, exquisite responses. The questions and the and the answers are so remarkable that I am reminded of how collectors seeing the Faberge eggs of the Romanov’s must have felt when they were seeen for the first time; or how the literary world must have felt when Emily Dickinson’s verse finally escaped her upstairs bedroom.
    The piece is a treasure to be savored again and again.

1. Sandy
      Sandy November 6, 2015 at 4:25 pm | | Reply

Well said….remarkable indeed.

3. TLK
    TLK October 31, 2015 at 10:39 pm | | Reply

I am reflecting on Mark’s articulation of his (and everyone’s) wish for love in the form of someone who really knows him. In my experience the greatest paradox of the desire for love is that while we want our beloved to know us deeply, to break open the cell of our existential loneliness, sometimes we also resent the presumption of loved ones who think they know us so well that they can predict our thoughts and actions. We wish to be loved and known, but keep the freedom of our essential unknowableness. And so, it seems to me, our behavior is guided by two contradictory longings – to express our inner reality authentically and to guard our vulnerable core. I was intrigued by the question you put to Mark about whether he felt he had lost something when he gained access to typed communication. The mystics exhort spiritual practitioners to go beyond the nominal, to go beyond an experience of reality that is conditioned by words. I wonder if Mark gave up some of that unconditioned experience for the gift of communication. The mystics say that the deepest experience of love transcends words, transcends the illusion of self and other.

4. Jernigan Pontiac
    Jernigan Pontiac December 8, 2015 at 12:29 pm | | Reply

Erica, this is a beautiful interview with my friend Mark. (I was lucky enough to appear in his film as the well-meaning van driver who mistakenly drops him at the library – a scene you refer to in one of your questions.) I could tell that you really “got” Mark and this was reflected in your insightful questions. You’re a really topnotch interviewer!
    I believe Mark has an amazing message for all of us “normal” people. Because aren’t we all struggling daily to express our inner light and find love and connection with others? Mark’s condition brings the essence of our shared human condition into stark reality.
    Thanks for seeing Mark and bringing him to Rumble Strip! love, jernigan : )

5. Scott Broderick
    Scott Broderick December 23, 2015 at 10:07 pm | | Reply

Congratulations on having this intimate and wonderous audio interview recognized. Well deserved!

6. K.K. Wilder
    K.K. Wilder January 31, 2016 at 5:26 pm | | Reply

I’m a longtime fan of Mark, Emily, and the wonderful film, “I Am In Here.” It took me several viewings to catch on to all the messages and I’ve been hooked on Mark’s blog ever since. Congratulations to all concerned with the podcast.

7. Julia Robinson
    Julia Robinson December 23, 2016 at 7:49 pm | | Reply

I love this interview…thank you.