1. Dick
    Dick January 27, 2015 at 5:23 pm | | Reply

Loved this.
    Thanks Erica and Leland.
    Leland must be some fun at an encampment, soaking up all the stories about crazy George the Third and our very own rabble rouser Ethan Allen.
    Ethan and his rowdy Green Mountain Boys are probably the very folks that keep him awake at night.
    And smart for him to go into the fife corps instead of being just another drummer. He has already figured that any colonial farm kid can bang on a drum. Better to be a specialist and a fife is easier to lug from one battlefield to the next.
    And what about his views of space? The snow globe captures things pretty well.
    Carl Sagan would be proud.

2. Julie Weatherston
    Julie Weatherston January 27, 2015 at 5:32 pm | | Reply

What an articulate 10 year old. I love his way of explaining things.

3. Barbara
    Barbara January 27, 2015 at 5:38 pm | | Reply

Great piece, Erica. The music is a perfect match for Leland’s musings. Living on the side of a mountain in Vermont has its rewards, among them children who have lots of time”to think things over”. As for Leland needing just one reason to clean up his room: because he can…in time, he’ll be big enough to chop and stack wood among other things. That’s what families do.

4. Ed Kennedy
    Ed Kennedy January 27, 2015 at 5:41 pm | | Reply

Leland’s ‘papa’ who does reenactments with him. Heavy thinking for 10.

5. Charlotte
    Charlotte January 27, 2015 at 5:56 pm | | Reply

LELAND HATES TAXES!

What 10 year old is coming up with snowglobe space theories like this?! I want to meet this kid. I want to tell him that he will totally NOT be bored as an adult. At all.

6. Dexter
    Dexter January 27, 2015 at 5:59 pm | | Reply

Awesome piece. I think you should make it a series and take topics from the audience. Get his thoughts on school, dinner, girls, driving… Sky’s the limit. Thanks for sharing.

7. Sharon
    Sharon January 27, 2015 at 7:36 pm | | Reply

Reminds me of your amazing work on “Good Night Moon.”

8. Jeff
    Jeff January 27, 2015 at 7:42 pm | | Reply

Billboards! What 10 yr old even pays attention in the car long enough to realize we don’t have billboards in Vermont. Great plug for authentic learning in history. More I want more wisdom from Leland

9. Peg Tassey
    Peg Tassey January 28, 2015 at 8:29 am | | Reply

Wow! What a beautiful young human. And it’s great to hear someone with the same theory about space that I’ve always had! More interviews with Leland please and the music was perfect! Thanks for your work Erica…it’s a comfort to hear from thoughtful people, young and old.

10. Wells (little)
    Wells (little) January 28, 2015 at 12:29 pm | | Reply

Be careful what you ask him. He might break your world.

11. Ruth Kassel
    Ruth Kassel January 28, 2015 at 5:37 pm | | Reply

Good thinking, Leland. As you grow older some of your opinions may change, but you’ll always have good reasoning
    behind them.
    Erica: perfect music as a background. I want to hear more, from Leland and Carla; you’ll be there to ask the right
    questions; no easy task.

12. Tim Kasten
    Tim Kasten January 28, 2015 at 6:29 pm | | Reply

Leland’s snow globe cosmological theory reminded me of these verses from “The King of Aspiration Prayers: the Aspiration for Noble, Excellent Conduct.” The idea of worlds within worlds has a long history.

On a single atom are as many worlds as there are atoms;
    in those worlds are Buddhas beyond imagining,
    dwelling amidst children of the Buddhas.
    I shall observe and emulate their enlightened conduct.

Like that, in any and all directions, too,
    in each hairʹs breadth are oceans of Buddhas,
    oceans of realms—as many as ever were, are, or will be.
    I shall abide in this experience for an ocean of eons.

13. ace
    ace January 29, 2015 at 7:22 am | | Reply

Leland is very old and very wise.

14. Mike D
    Mike D January 29, 2015 at 12:21 pm | | Reply

Another great one Erica. Leland is kind of a visionary. I look forward to hearing more from you as you apply your skills as a story-teller to kids. You’re 100% right that they have a lot to add to public discourse. I’m glad you’re working on it.

15. Jodi
    Jodi January 29, 2015 at 6:47 pm | | Reply

Hey Leland, You are a very interesting young man and I can’t wait to hear more of what you think about.

16. Judy
    Judy January 29, 2015 at 8:58 pm | | Reply

Hello Erica, I never listened to your program before, although I have heard of it. The opening sentences of your story, which you posted on FPF, made me click on and listen. Fantastic story. Being a mentor, and knowing other mentor/mentee relationships, makes me think there are other Lelands out there. I look forward to hear more of your reporting. Thank you.

17. anne
    anne January 29, 2015 at 11:18 pm | | Reply

Wonderful, truly a great presentation. Tell me, do I hear a “Vermont accent amongst the others?

18. Lucy
    Lucy January 30, 2015 at 7:28 am | | Reply

When you die…I think that just happens in air, your soul just thinks.

I had a great conversation with Leland once when he was in kindergarten or first grade, wonderful. Thanks, Erica, love your work.

19. Liz Benjamin
    Liz Benjamin January 30, 2015 at 9:48 am | | Reply

This is wonderful, the questions, Leland’s musings, the music. Leland- yes, adults have a lot on their minds, including taxes, but they also have more freedom than children do, so they can decide a lot more for themselves. With some hard work and good luck, they can have wonderful, exciting, really fun lives. I hope you will look forward to all the stages of your life. Erica- I will subscribe, and I look forward to hearing more from Leland and other young people.

20. Kate
    Kate January 30, 2015 at 8:07 pm | | Reply

Erica,
    I sat down with my family tonight to listen to your piece with Leland. My boys were full of questions about the topics he brought up and fascinated by his ideas on space. Thanks for giving Leland such a powerful platform to tell his story.
    Kate

21. Chris Tebbetts
    Chris Tebbetts January 31, 2015 at 8:33 pm | | Reply

Thanks, Erica and Leland! I love the two-way chain of snow globes, and the fact that you (Leland) are thinking about these things, and (you) Erica are taking them down! Nice.

22. CM
    CM February 1, 2015 at 3:04 pm | | Reply

I loved this piece. Thank you Leland for sharing your thoughts and Erica for documenting them. I would love to hear more from local people, both kids and adults.

23. Judith Augsberg
    Judith Augsberg August 24, 2016 at 3:08 am | | Reply

Erica, Finding these programs late during a sleepless night is a blessing. Leland is a blessing, as are many of your subjects.. Wonder how he has grown since this piece. Thank you.